Saturday, July 31, 2010

Live Below the Line

I just spent about 2 hours browsing the supermarket, late at night, notepad in hand, and then 10 minutes collecting and buying this:


The Global Poverty Project is raising awareness about the 1.4 billion people in the world who live on the equivalent of $2 Australian every day. So I am joining in (see here) to live on ten bucks of food from Monday to Friday next week. No room for luxuries, let me tell you! I couldn't even sneak in a little pack of tea. I pondered my list for a while. No cereal was cheap enough. No way could I afford meat. I got full-cream milk with the intention of watering it down. Stock cubes were 10c cheaper than salt. Yukky cheap marg was cheaper than butter. I haven't got a menu planned out, but it's going to involve homemade bread with no yeast, pancakes with no egg, and NO MILO AT ALL.
.
Only 5 days, though. Imagine eating like this every day, with no full pantry to fall back on. Don't know how I'd keep my kids healthy.
.
I'm down to the bottom edge of Picovoli, doing a little 7x1 rib with a smidgeon of lace. Because I'm bored of stockinette... It's just Wool Ease, but I'm loving the tweedy green.
.


Also I'm spinning a bit of blue and green.




And I used some soft handspun to knit a felted moebius bag. I'm planning to give it to Mum, though I'm unhappy with the long handle. Perhaps it will entertain my math-minded Dad. I'll tell him it's knit in one piece with no seams, yet it's a moebius strip (one edge, one side)... so how did I do it? He'll like that :D
.


Some wool may also have fallen into the dye pot. This is actually Rit dye, which I apparently should not have used a cooking pot for, but Oh Well. This was BWM Rustic in "Aran". I think it wants to be slippers...

And now I must put my meagre groceries away and get into bed, as it's 1am :) Goodnight.


2 comments:

Tara said...

Wow! 10$ for 5 days, eh? Is that just for YOU, or for the entire family?

Lynne said...

Now that is brave - feeding the family for $10 for the week! Were you allowed to use other foods from the pantry, etc? I guess doing that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

Locations of visitors to this page